Reviews & interviews ..
- 98. Edinburgh-born, Livingston-bred John Rae has had such a long & distinguished drumming career, that this humble drummer has spent much of the last several days checking out his back catalogue. For the last decade he’s lived in Wellington, New Zealand & the featured track today is a recent recording there. This listener had an image of a candyfloss machine, as his confection of drums emerges at 1.42, in The Earl of Seaforth’s Salute. Utterly brilliant.
- Training & Continuing Professional Development Fund for music educators who teach young people, in Scotland. Closing Date 5pm, August 28th – so be quick!
- Scottish jazzers, this looks interesting: “Musicians on the Mound” & “The Green Room on the Meadows”.
- Targeted financial support for Black music creators who are UK-based, working in any genre and at any career level, who have been experiencing hardship from loss of work due to COVID-19. PRS Foundation’s Sustaining Creativity Fund. Funding deadline: 10 August 2020.
- 97. To a greater or lesser degree Covid-19 currently affects us all, world-wide. So today we feature here an ‘old favourite’ re-arranged by East Lothian-based guitarist Simon Thacker, who has featured on these pages previously in both ‘world music’ & jazz groups. For your enjoyment, a trans-global, multi-lingual version of ‘We Shall Overcome’.
- 96. Glenrothes-based director of Langtoun Jazz Festival, radio presenter & semi pro vocalist Grace Black, to help celebrate a Special Birthday has recorded some songs in aid of the charity Help Musicians Scotland. Recorded in her garden with backing tracks from Peter Angus and Cafezz Duo, listen to ‘On A Clear Day’ & you can hear the birds singing too. 🐦🎶
- 95. Jazz funk guitarist, singer & DJ Aki Remally Music evokes Bill Withers for this listener whenever he sings. Here’s to the time when we can again get down to The Jazz Bar, Edinburgh & check out this music live! Here’s his funky take on Jimi Hendrix. With the marvellous: Jamie Graham (drums), Richard Harrold (keys) & Tom Wilkinson (bass). 😀
- 94. Edinburgh-based vocalist Liz Dicks’ command of jazz ballads is clear in this audio of her very lovely rendition of ‘Always On My Mind’.